As you know he had his little "wee-wee" surgery on Tuesday. Tuesday night he slept great - he was still on pain meds. Wednesday night was a different story. He woke up at 2 a.m. screaming bloody murder. So, Chris and I got up to change his diaper which is incredibly challenging since he has a little catheter now. This might be too much information, but you have to know this to get the whole picture. The catheter constantly drips and when Carson pedals his legs like he's on a bike, the catheter moves around like one of those "Wigglin' Water Squirter" toys. You have to watch that he doesn't pull out the catheter, while you're trying not to get soaked, all while trying to put a diaper on. It's even worse when you are half asleep. After the diaper change, I made the mistake of holding Carson while Chris was trying to give him his pain medicine. Somehow Chris had the bright idea of just squirting the whole syringe into his mouth so we could get back to sleep. Well, Carson had a different idea. He immediately spit out the pink nasty smelling bubble gum flavored medicine and it went all over my nightgown, on my foot and onto the floor. Chris found this to be hilarious and couldn't stop laughing. I suddenly had to pee and tried to pass Carson off to Chris. The short version is - I coughed, Chris laughed, I peed on myself. What a night.
Thursday night - Carson woke up every hour (and I do mean every hour). He wasn't in pain. He was hungry. We fed that baby all night long not thinking about the repercussions. Well, at 5 a.m. (one hour before we have to get up) he started screaming again so when I went to get him I noticed he was swimming in his crib. Yes, his little sprinkler system dripped non-stop and filled up his diaper, the sheets, the blankets, his pajamas, etc.
Friday night - Oh, we weren't going to make the same mistakes. We made sure he wasn't in pain and he was fed plenty of food before we put him down. Before we went to bed we even woke him to change his diaper so he wouldn't leak. At 4 a.m., he woke up as usual for a bottle. We changed his diaper, put him in bed with us and fed him a bottle. We woke up at 6 a.m. (on Saturday morning!) to a wet bed. We were both so desperate for sleep that we stripped our bed and didn't have the energy to make it again so we slept on a bare mattress. Yes, I'm embarrassed to admit it, but this is what we have resorted to.

2 comments:
Oh my goodness! You and Chris are certainly troopers. I hope Carson has a better week...for his sake and your your sanity.
Oh girl...I never thought I'd sleep on a bare mattress either...but I've done it too! Being a parent "changes" everything just like people told us right? I'm glad you survived.
Post a Comment