Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Baby Update

Well, lots to talk about today.  First, let me say that we have finally decided on a name: 

CAMDEN CHARLES EDWARDS

WEEK 36: Last week we had a doctor appt. (Feb. 15th).  I had been having some cramping/contractions over the weekend so the doctor just wanted to be safe.  He did all kinds of tests - a sonogram, blood work, and a NST (listening to baby's heart rate and monitoring his movements).  At that time, baby looked great.  Heart rate was perfect and they were guessing his weight to be about 7.3 lbs.  Again, he was measuring 2 weeks bigger.  The sono tech was able to get some great pictures of Camden and she commented on how much hair this child had already.  In fact, we were able to see his hair "bouncing" as he moved.  Looks like he's got some little chipmunk cheeks and a few fat rolls that we never noticed with Carson.

WEEK 37: This past week, along with my normal pains and cramping, I have developed very itchy skin and my feet and hands are starting to swell.  I thought this was just all normal symptoms and nothing to be concerned about, but at our doctor appt. today (Feb. 22) I found out differently.  It seems that the last 2 times my blood work showed some high levels with my liver.  The elevated levels combined with my constant itching indicates that I have developed Cholestasis (1 in 1,000 get it - lucky me).  Cholestasis is a common liver disease that only happens in pregnancy in which the normal flow of bile in the gallbladder is affected by the high amounts of pregnancy hormones.  So, in a nutshell here's what it means: 
  • Camden's liver is at risk since my liver isn't protecting him from bile acids.
  • Our risk for preterm birth, fetal distress, or still birth are increased.
  • We now have to weigh the risk of delivering him too early (before his lungs are developed) against the risk of having a still birth or other complications the longer we wait.
After discussing it with our doctor, a few tears, and doing a little research, our game plan has now changed.  I will go back in 2 days (Thurs., Feb. 24) for more tests - sono, blood work, etc.  If all looks well, then we'll repeat this same step on Monday, Feb. 28.  Doctor Wells says we will definitely deliver at 38 weeks (which is next week).  He's thinking of scheduling it for Tuesday, March 1 or Thursday, March 3.  In the meantime, I am to get as much rest as possible and to monitor Camden's movements.  I'm supposed to do "kick counts" twice a day and keep a journal of it, but I guarantee I'll check his movements every hour on the hour just to be safe.  So, as if I wasn't stressed enough - this is just one more hurdle for us to get over before we can hold little Camden Charles.

My doctor has also (unofficially) ordered me to stop working this week.  He doesn't realize I have a yearbook that needs to go to print in 2 weeks.  I also have lesson plans to get ready, tests to give, and a Holocaust/Diary of Anne Frank unit to finish with my students.  As Chris keeps reminding me - what's more important?

Looks like we'll have a March baby after all - just a few weeks earlier than expected.  I will spend the next 5 days saying lots of prayers, getting as much rest as possible, and counting every time this little monkey moves.

1 comment:

Cynda Western Felini said...

Good luck! We are praying for a healthy, happy baby and mama in a couple of weeks.

Get some rest and let us know if we can help. We can get the yearbook to press or make your lesson plans but we can keep your spirits up!

My Family